Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2010 June 15th 6:00 am

The alarm rang and I look at my mobile with anger. I pressed the snooze key and slept again. My friend, who had woken up before me, saw that and kicked on my ass. I looked at him and shouted at him "saale sone de chut ke dhakkan". And I dozed off again and 10 minutes later the stupid alarm rang again. I got up and my day started.

The worst thing about Bangalore is traveling. Everything is always so far away from you. And on top of that they have these stupid BMTC buses. Squeezes the energy out of you every time you travel in them. I live in Vijaynagar and the place I had to go for the interview was in Banaswadi. Approximately 25 kms from my room. So I catch a bus from Vijaynagar to Majestic; I buy a pass and sit quietly in the bus. 40 minutes later I was in Majestic, trying to find the platform where Banaswadi bus comes. I try to ask a few people in there but in vain. Finally a conductor told me that it comes at PF 19. I quickly make my way to 19 and saw the Bansawadi bus standing there; as if waiting for me, with an evil grin, wanting to squeeze more of my energy till I reach Banaswadi. "I hate BMTC", I grumbled and went inside the bus. After another 50 minutes, I was there. The problem now was, where the hell should I get off?  I asked the guy sitting besids me and he wasn't sure where exactly the company was. I told him about a bank that was located near the company and luckily he knew that. So he told me which stop to get off and also the direction from there. I thanked the guy, he was a policeman, and got off the bus and to the company.

I had arrived almost an hour earlier to the time the interview was fixed. I wandered around the area just to pass the time. Had tea and a breather and after an hour entered the company along with few others who had come for the interview. We were asked to sit in the waiting hall and waste a few minutes of our precious lives in their company since we were jobless anyway. After about 30 minutes, a guy came and handed over a form to each one of us and asked us to fill it. He asked us all a photograph and we did everything he told. All of us were acting like faithful dogs, trying to please our employer, making him think each one of us was better than the other. Being jobless is very shameful. You see your friends going to jobs and you wish even you had on,  too.

So after wasting few more minutes of our unworthy jobless live,  we were individually called for the HR round. The HR round basically had an introduction followed by few gay questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, are you willing to relocate, would you lick my ass if I hired you and so on and so forth. And the HR officer was a woman, but ugly. So nothing interesting there. After the HR round we were called for the 1st technical round which consisted of questions about my project that I did in my Engineering. The interviewer asked me about my role in the project to which I told him that I did certain parts of the circuit. To be honest, we did not do the project, we purchased it. Nobody does a project in engineering. So live with this fact and move on with your life. He fired at me few more boring questions and I just smiled at him and acted as if I was enjoying the interview. My turn was over and he selected me for the second round. I came out and the others surrounded me as if I was a VIP (for a small period of time, I was). They asked me what all they asked me since I was the first candidate to face the technical round. After that I went out to have lunch. The area, Banaswadi, sucks. There are no good restaurants around. After about 15 mins on foot, I found a Chinese restaurant with Chinese people in it, right from the waiter to the cook to the cashier. I had my lunch there and came back to the company an hour later.

The second round began at 3 pm. I was sleepy. The interviewer called me again and he started with his technical questions again. This time the interview lasted for about 3 mins. The interviewer was over. And I was...selected ;D

I was happy. Suddenly I began to like the company and the HR looked a little less uglier now xD. I was put under R&D department for software and hardware development where I would undergo both the areas and would later be put into the one where I would perform better. So I came out with a grin on my face and immediately called Rahul and informed him. He congratulated me. But we haven't discussed the salary and other terms and conditions yet. So I met the HR and she dictated me the T&C. The salary was 7k per month. My heart cracked. But then the work was good and I can jump to other company after I have some experience. So I accepted the offer and went back to room happily.

And yeah, I informed everyone in my contact list about the job and everyone congratulated me back. The guy sitting next to me in the bus was getting annoyed by the number of text messages I was receiving with each message making my cell beep. I then switched my mobile in silent mode and continued chatting.

2 comments: